Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Tourbillon, Super 200's, and a cloud of dust.....

.....continued.

After the museum I took a trip down to New Bond Street.

I find the older I get the more I appreciate the finer things in life. Not that I can afford most (if not all) of them, I still like to dream.

As an aspiring horological aficionado, I've known about Patek Philippe timepieces for years. It's not common knowledge that there are only 3 official Patek stores in the EU. Geneva, Paris, and (you guessed it) London.

Here's the website: www.patek.com

I've been to the website 100 times. I had to check out the store in person.

When you walk up to the door, you're greeted by a security guard who eyeballs you for a minute and then swipes his card to get you into the door. I was welcomed by Alenoush Ghoudikian-Graham. She immediately offered me tea, water, coffee, and a seat in front of her demonstration table.

I realized quickly that I had to play it cool or I'd be asked to leave. Luckily I did my research and drooling prior to this visit.


Alenoush inquires about why I'm interested in Patek Philippe. I mention tradition, excellence, luxury, and class. We're engaged in conversation about the classics, the rare, the impossible to find, and the future of the company.


1st up: The Nautilis 5980/1A - Stainless Steel Chronograph £28,500


Quite heavy and a little too big for my wisp of a wrist.

Next: The Calatrava 5196P - Platinum £21,480

This is Patek's signature watch. Elegant, simple, and classically understated. One day this will be my 1st Patek.


We take the plunge into timekeeping excellence.


The Sky Moon Tourbillon Minute Repeater 5002 - Rose Gold £350,000

Amazing. Simply Amazing.

Look up "Patek Minute Repeater" on YouTube. You'll understand why.


I had to get out of there before they decided to do a credit check. Alenoush and I talked about watches for nearly an hour. I'm inspired.


Off to Loro Piana to see if I can try on a "Super" suit.

Mission accomplished.

There's nothing like wearing a Super 200. Look it up and experience it yourself.


Next up: Ferrari

I walked in the door and quickly understood why one would want to spend half a million pounds/dollars on a car.

They were quite busy so I didn't have a chance to ask many questions. Plus, I didn't want to look like a pretentious dick.

So I only took a turn in the driver's seat of a 458 Italia. Check this bad boy out.



I think I might have spilled some coffee inside. I couldn't find the cup holders.


After my day of excess luxury I headed back to The Bloomsbury for a change of clothes. I got a little restless so I took off for a pub down the road. Starting with a typical Guiness, I chatted up the bartender Jenna from Canada. She had the accent and was extremely nice to this Yankee. Drinks flowed.

After her trade show, Sandi met me at the pub where I had already had 3 or 4 pints. We took off to a small Italian place to eat with her co-workers. I didn't want to let go of my buzz so I drank several glasses of wine. We all decided to go across the street for more drinks.

The two of the Irish gals (names omitted) surprised me with their drink of choice....Sol. That's right. Sol. Apparently it was the closest thing to Coors the bar had.

The rest of the evening was a blur. A few of us headed to the bar at the hotel for more drinks. By this time it was only 11pm. I remember meeting Paulo, the bartender. He loaded me up on Maker's Mark. I was told that I had at least 2 drinks there but all I remember was the 4 fingers of Whisky in my glass the first round.

Sandi came and got me at 12:15am, asking Paulo what time he closes. He casually mentions "half past 11:30, but he has 30 minutes left". I tried to get him to drink with me but he had to go home to his girlfriend.

Made it back to the room. Sandi said she has only seen me this drunk one time. The time I passed out on the sidewalk 3 blocks from her house with Nicholas trying to find me.

Ahhh, good times.

This evening I'll update with my story of "The Watch".

1 comment:

  1. Seems like you had a pretty sweet day. It's 23 degrees here. Crazy cold. Keep sending us some more stuff. I like reading it. Plus, you are a pretty damn good writer/storyteller. It's like I'm there. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete