Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Dempsey & the Fulham Boys

Brighton on my mind, whiskey on my breath, and a watch ticking on my wrist I headed to bed, visions of sugarplums pounding in my head.

Or maybe that’s just the hangover. I needed rest.

It’s safe to say, I slept in. It’s my vacation; I can do whatever I want.

I wasn’t in the mood for a museum or any other tourist trap so I wandered around Soho enjoying the crisp air, cappuccino, and crack(ers).

Nothing to do but smell the roses and wait. Tonight is gonna be a good night.

What: English Premier League Football
Who: Fulham FC vs. Newcastle United
Where: Craven Cottage SW6

Sandi and I hopped on the tube to Putney Bridge amongst the locals with their hidden Strongbows. We were entertained by a young gentleman describing a friend’s dating exploits. “Heya, I’m Georgy, what type of energy enhancing drink do you favor?” and “How’s your Fantasy Football team stacking up” were the two best pick-up lines I’ve ever heard.

We were herded out of the train and down the platform like cattle being led to slaughter. We had no choice but to go with the flow. I couldn’t get my bearing so we just followed the crowd to Craven Cottage. Home of the Fulham FC Whites!




I’ve never been a football (soccer) fan until the past World Cup. Figuring that a billion fans can’t be wrong, I’ve always wanted to get into it. When the trip to London came to fruition, I decided that I had to see an English Premier League match.

Knowing shit about the teams, I did my research. Only two matches that would fit into our schedule. Everton @ Arsenal and Newcastle United @ Fulham.

Even if you don’t know football (soccer), you might have heard of Arsenal. They’re like the St. Louis Cardinals of the EPL. Both led by stars on the way out, new stadiums, lots of league titles, storied coaches, and a large fan base. That means it’s damn near impossible to get tickets.

I moved on to smaller fish.

Fulham Football Club is more like the San Diego Padres. Both have nice stadiums, no titles, and the fans have come to accept that their teams are not going to compete with the best every year. This translated into cheap and easy tickets. Mid-field, 12th row.

I wanted to become a fan. I needed to know what I was rooting for in the stands of old Craven Cottage. I dug deep into the history of Fulham. I memorized the current starting lineup.

That’s when it hit me.

Clint Dempsey. USA Soccer Star. Born and raised in Nacogdoches, Texas. #23

The football gods were talking to me. I had a team to root for!

We settled into our seats under the famed awning watching the warm-ups.




I couldn’t believe how close we were. We could hear the players talking.



Game on.


45+ min of back and forth. Several shots on goal. “Come on Fulham, Come on Fulham”

Halftime: 0-0

2nd half: 67th minute, Damien Duff sprinted past a Newcastle United defender to receive Danny Murphy’s pass, held off the challenge before shooting past the keeper!

1-0 Fulham!


Fulham put the pressure on Newcastle the rest of the evening. 5 shots missed wide and a couple from Dempsey sailed over.

Fulham Wins!

It was amazing.



On this dreary cold evening, chants and cheers filled the riverbank in Southwest London.

We reveled in the win, walking the neighborhood in search of a cab.

Fulham may not have the biggest stadium, the most money, or the greatest team but they have loyal fans and a definite sense of pride in their football club.

Here's a sign posted at every entrance.




I felt protective when I heard a group of Newcastle fans chanting ill will about Fulham.

Watch out for the Craven Park Hooligan!

No comments:

Post a Comment