Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Life, Death, and Timepieces

Monday was filled with all sorts of random awesomeness.

It started off with breakfast around 9am followed by a quick jaunt to the British Museum.

I've found myself thinking quite a bit about my own mortality, death, and afterlife. Airplane rides are usually the catalyst but this time it was different. It seemed like every piece I was drawn to had something to do with the subject.


Chitipati - Spirit of the Graveyard


So there I was, roaming the halls of this amazing place stumbling over thoughts that shouldn't be in my head whilst on vacation, when I ran into this.



I wonder how many men questioned their mortality when they saw that coming at them. It would be safe to say that I'd be shitting myself.

The mood lightened a bit when I rounded the corner and saw this:


Respect and Love


If you think about it, you could probably sum life up with those two words. Kind of like the golden rule. Harmony, friendship, and favor.


I saw spectacular statues, the Rosetta Stone, and lots of mummified people inside gorgeous halls and staircases.






I spent a few minutes for each of those to play with my camera and get some pictures that would create some memories but what kept my attention for the longest time was this:


Rolling Ball Clock - About 1820
The steel ball takes 30 seconds to roll from one end of the table to the other. At each end a catch is released, enabling the mechanism to tip the table the other way so the ball rolls back. The ball travels about 2,500 miles each year.

I watched that little ball for at least 20 minutes. Talk about mortality, just watching time roll away.


I made my way out around 2:30 surprised to see a perfect day. We were expecting rainy and cold. Today it was about 45 degrees and sunny. I bought some coffee and basked in the sun for an hour or so. People watching in London is priceless. You never know what you're gonna see. Some of these people would put Leslie to shame.

To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment